Ethereum creator and founder Vitalik Buterin has recently revealed that less than 10% of his non-ethereum holdings involve Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Dogecoin and Zcash. This recently conducted disclose by Buterin leads to the complaints of his cryptocurrency investments being shut down as most have complained about the potential conflict of interest.
All of this was recently revealed during an “Ask Me Anything” (AMA) Reddit thread which occurred during February 18th on the Ethereum subreddit.
During the Reddit AMA session about Ethereum and its leadership, Buterin proceeded to disclose information about holding over 350,000 ETH which is estimated to be worth $51 million. He also holds Ethereum-based tokens such as Kyber Network, Maker, Omisego, and Auger in his portfolio. Although they represent the lesser 10% of the value for his Ethereum.
Buterin points that in addition to his income he gains from the Ethereum Foundation, he also received other salaries over the past 12 months, these include undisclosed amounts for “advisory tokens” presumably for his work on behalf for certain Ethereum-based projects in the past.
He further reveals he’s a shareholder for a London-based fintech Clearmatics and Starkware, which is currently developing a full proof stack for the Stark zero-knowledge protocol. Additionally, he also has non-financial interests in a startup that’s developing Web 3, a decentralized web that removes the middleman, named L4.
Regarding this discloser, Buterin went on to say:
“I’d definitely support more people actively involved in protocol decision-making making such statements.”
Here’s a quick summery on Buterin portfolio as revealed by him in the AMA:
- Non-ethereum-ecosystem tokens: BCH, BTC, DOGE, ZEC; total value < 10% the value of my ETH
- Non-ETH ethereum ecosystem tokens: KNC, MKR, OMG, REP, total value <10% the value of my ETH
- Significant corporate shareholdings: Clearmatics, Starkware [edit, forgot to put this in before]
- Revenue in the last 12 months other than ethereum foundation salary: a few advisor tokens (included in above)
- Non-financial interests: friends in the ecosystems represented by the above projects, as well as some non-token ethereum ecosystem orgs (eg. L4, Plasma Group, EthGlobal, EDCON) and non-token non-ethereum orgs (mainly professional cryptography and economics circles)